As a freelancer, once you’ve won a new client or new piece of work, you need to ensure your agreement is in writing so everything is clear and there are no problems down the line. Here’s what to include in your freelance contract or Service Level Agreement (SLA). Use our free freelance contract template to create your own in seconds.
What is a freelancer contract of SLA?
A freelancer contract or SLA is a written agreement between a company or individual, and a freelancer that outlines the terms of the working relationship.
Why do you need a freelancer contract or SLA?
A freelancer contract or SLA protects both parties involved in the freelancer-client relationship and can help prevent misunderstandings or disputes.
What should be included in a freelancer contract or SLA?
A freelance contract or Service Level Agreement (SLA) should include:
- The scope of work to be performed
- The timeline for completing the work
- The deliverables that will be provided
- The payment terms
- The cancellation and refund policy
It is important to have a clear and concise freelancer contract or SLA in place before any work begins. This will help ensure that both parties are on the same page from the start and will help avoid any confusion or disputes further down the road.
Tips for writing a freelance contract or SLA:
- Be as specific as possible about the scope of work and deliverables. This will help avoid misunderstandings later on.
- Include a timeline for completing the work, and make sure it is realistic.
- Include a clause for revisions or changes to the scope of work, in case the client requests them.
- Make sure the payment terms are clearly stated and include a late payment fee if applicable.
- Include a clause specifying that the contract can be terminated if either party is unsatisfied with the work.
- Include a clause specifying that the client owns the rights to the work once it has been paid for.
Example of SLA For Content Marketing Services
Here is an example of an SLA for content marketing services. You can use our free freelance contract or SLA template here. [link to a template]
This Service Level Agreement ("Agreement") is between the CLIENT and FREELANCER.
1. Services. CLIENT has engaged FREELANCER to provide content marketing services, including but not limited to the development and distribution of blog posts, articles, infographics, and other digital content (the "Services").
2. Deliverables. FREELANCER will deliver the Services in a professional and timely manner, in accordance with the following schedule:
- One (1) blog post per week, to be delivered on Mondays by 5:00 p.m. EST.
- One (1) article per week, to be delivered on Wednesdays by 5:00 p.m. EST.
- One (1) infographic per month, to be delivered on the first Friday of the month by 5:00 p.m. EST.
FREELANCER will provide CLIENT with a draft of each deliverable for review and approval prior to publication or distribution. CLIENT will have three (3) business days to provide feedback or request revisions.
3. Payment. CLIENT will pay FREELANCER a monthly fee of [XXXX] in advance, on or before the first day of each month. If CLIENT fails to make a timely payment, FREELANCER may suspend or terminate the Agreement in accordance with clause 6.
4. Rights and ownership. Upon payment of the applicable fees, CLIENT will own all rights, title, and interest in and to the deliverables, including but not limited to the copyright.
5. Confidentiality. FREELANCER acknowledges that the Services to be performed under this Agreement may involve access to confidential information belonging to CLIENT. FREELANCER agrees to maintain the confidentiality of such information and will not disclose it to any third party without the prior written consent of CLIENT.
6. Termination. This Agreement may be terminated by either party upon seven (7) days' written notice in the event of a material breach by the other party.
7. Disclaimer. The Services to be performed under this Agreement are provided "as is" and FREELANCER makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the quality or results of the Services.
8. Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter herein and supersedes all prior agreements and understandings
How to use Craft to create a freelance contract or SLA?
Use our free freelance contract template here to quickly get started.
You can share your contract via a link, or export it as a PDF (or other document).